Sunday, September 21, 2008
Hermann Cross Under the Lights
So last night, I drove out to hermann with adrienne and ian for the hermann cross under the lights race. it was the first cross race of the season, and i was signed up for the advanced race, the faster of the two races offered. The course was awesome, with a lot of twisty grassy sections and a barrier section up top, before taking about a quarter mile on pavement down the the fields that were grassy until they hit a sand pit, then turned to straight mud after the pit. From there, there was an out and back on pavement, and pavement up to the infamous stairs. The staircase is about 60 or so stairs long, but this year they cut off the bottom set or two, because we came into it kinda sideways, and already up a few stairs if that makes sense. I got a call up for 14th spot, or second row. It was pretty cool to have my name called, and ride up to your spot, so pro haha. Anyways, the race started FAST. The first turn and the s turns that followed were nuts. Everything on the first lap was chaotic. The muddy section got muddier, and harder to ride each lap. I got taken by the mud into a goal post and ate it on like lap 3. I was feeling pretty crappy about 6 laps in, and thought i was gonna puke, which i never do. I ended up lasting 8 laps, i think, before josh lapped me. I was cruising up the stairs, i guess walking up to the 4th floor everyday like 5 times helps. This race was awesome though. The course was excellent, the turnout was amazing and the fans on the stairs and around the course were pretty good too. The whole venue and atmosphere made for the best cross race i've ever done. It had a really organized and well put on grassroots feel to it. i'll post some pics when i find them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This was a cool race. Well, except for that "stinky" mud pit.
I posted some pictures on my blog. I took about 100 pictures, but only about 30 came out o.k.
http://chrislocke.blogspot.com/
Nice work - 8 laps. Yikes. The racing out here is 6 laps max, much longer courses with crazy long sand runs / rides. My smallest race only had 38 riders,the other 3 had between 85-100.
I'll look for good results coming from you the rest of the season
Post a Comment