So i've decided to just do a road season recap before gateway cup, since it's always a let down anyway for 99% of local dudes. I have learned a few things this year.
#1. like I said after the first time I glanced over the training program we were supposed to do this year. It's way too much. I never followed it, and I am very glad I didn't. Look at Matt Pence, who would tell you himself that he has been overtrained. He fucking smashed the early season, winning everything, being the guy to beat at every race. Then, when it came to the races that really counted, the ones to get him on the national team, his legs just didnt have it. I feel bad for him, because this plan was supposed to have him peaking for these races, not riding at his absolute worst this season. Who has time to ride 3 hours on a wednesday in the spring, after spinning for 45 minutes in the morning, while going to school. It's too much. We have jobs and school and lives. We aren't pros. I just don't see how more people didnt see this before.
#2. I can't buss tables and race. My last good result is Hellbender, I got 5th. On the way home I called McGurks and set up work for the next week. I dnf'd that tuesday night crit, and from there on never really got going. I had a few good races at superweek, when I wasn't working, but came home and felt the absolute worst i have ever felt in a race at the state crit. I don't care how much you work a week, or how much harder your job is. I have worked in a bike shop. This is harder. I'm in the heat, walking and carrying plates, ice and buckets full of plates and ice. all day. And then coming home to train at 3:30 or 4, the motivation is dwindling, so not only does walking around for 5 hours a day and carrying stuff take a toll on my legs, but trying to train after doesnt make the training super effective.
#3. I have horrible self discipline. I need a training plan, and I need to follow it better. end of story.
#4. I think i'm catting up for gateway. I'm not going to do anything in the 3's most likely, so I'd rather race in the big show. And, I want to race 1/2's next year, so I might as well get in a little experience this year.
Saturday, August 08, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
First, right on about cat'n up. That's awesome man. I hope it proves to a good time.
Also, work+school+life+athletics is a crazy balancing act but having each balance the others is super important (at least for me). I've been following my training over the past year with an excel sheet...4-5hrs training + a race and that's about perfect for me. I've always said screw endurance and just focus on ramping up my workload with intensity. If you ever want to talk about having a shit-ton to do but still racing, drop me an email...as I think a ton about it.
Hope to see you soon.
-d
ps-while writing this I got paged to come into the hospital on a saturday!
i feel the same way about that training plan--screw it.
ps-i still owe you $20
Who wrote this "training plan"? It sounds like one of Adrienne's big ideas. Does she have zero common sense? I mean, I knew she had very little. Anyway, writting a "training plan" for an entire team is bullshit. Anyone (but I was never a "pro") should know that an entire team, of varrying abilities, cannot follow the same training plan. Maybe your director should use her head for more than a place to deposit more alcohol and spew more bullshit.
Post a Comment