Tuesday, May 01, 2007

"drip drip drip...goes the water"

Quoted from chumbawumba.

So the tour of stl was this past weekend. It was a pretty good weekend that got me siked for summer, where we all just go to the races and hangout when were not racing. Its been a while since weve done that. I did the 4's races all weekend. carondelet was hella sketchy. There were 3 major crashes. The first was like on the second lap, some guy hit the curb and a dogfish guy went into him, I skidded and was able to stop, on an endo, pretty much hitting him lightly. so I took a free lap, which I wasnt going to be given because I didnt really crash, but I said I fell into the grass, cause Im sure as hell not paying 25 bux to race 2 laps not even crash and quit. So then a ghishallo guy crashed himself out. Then mikey b comes back to me, cause I havent really been able to move up too much after getting stuck smack on the end, and starts to pull me up to the front to lead me out. With 3 to go, another bigger crash, which took out the same dogfish guy and some more. Anyway Mike and I shoot to the right side of the road to go around it, we were around 25th at this point, and he makes it through before i get cut off by some momentum guy ridng sideways, and I have to unclip and kick my way through, in the meantime the pack has put about 10 seconds into me. I chased solo for about a lap then pulled out to watch the sprint. keaton finished 5th and mike finished 7th, not too bad. The dissappointing thing is that I know I could've been top 3 because Mike was 2nd or 1st wheel at the place that austin said to start my sprint, and had I only been on his wheel. The tt was next, all the way out in hell. It was a waste of time. Sketchy course, lonnie broke his collarbone, waste of gas gettting out there and bad roads. I think i could've gone a lot faster. I kept seeing old guys come up after me, dying. Gasping for breath, and I wasnt really worn out at all. I think mentally going into it I thought it was maybe a 20k tt, so I needed to save something but I dono. Fopo was next on sunday. I love the forest park crit, cause mainly I like racing in Fopo. The only thing that made sunday kinda suck was that it was pretty hott, Fopo is usually either cold, cool or rainy. Id like it to have been a little cooler. Anyway, I raced decent and was able to move up into the strung out top 15 but then the first guys would slow down in the corners and right before them and we would get swarmed and I'd be on the back. So after doing that a few times I desided to sit at the back and chill. I was getting set to move up at 30 minutes in, with 5 minutes and 5 laps to go, when they rang the 5 lap bell. So I guess they shortened it to compensate for the classic, big shark race = late to start. I moved up and was on mikey b's wheel but I kept getting it ganked and kept getting swarmed in the corners again. I moved up solo to about 15th coming thru with 1 to go, and I finished 13th or 14th, but I didnt go to the "i think i was in the top 15 meeting" afterwards so I dono for sure if I was put in there or not. Im sorry, but this race had one major flaw. They didnt have a working video camera. The jrs race at carondelet had to be solved by a coin toss, and every race from there on had to have a meeting where everyone in the top 10-15 voted. Stupid. How cant you get a video camera over night, everyone at that race prolly had one theyd be willing to lend.

Our team had a good weekend:
Mike Heffernan won the 5's at Carondelet got 3rd(ish) in the TT, got 2nd at FOPO and maybe won overall.
Austin got freaking 2nd in the 1/2 race at carondelet.
luke was in the money both days I think.
And keaton and mike 5th and 7th respectively at carondelet.

Rite now I should be getting in my car after tuesday nights but its pouring and it has been for the last 2ish hours. trainier ride tonite

My friend, and head mechanic at Trekstl, Katie Arehart-Rose had a really bad mountian biking accident on sunday. She was riding at castlewood and ran into a guy going around a corner, and fractured 3 bones in her face. It was her first mtb ride of the season and the first ride on her procaliber. She has some kind of surgery next week but apparently is in quite good spirits, I recieved a jovial text message the day of the crash telling me what she had done. I wish her the speediest of recoverys and that all of the surgery goes well.

peace.

No comments: