Monday, October 26, 2009

USGP Louisville

This past weekend Grman and I headed out to Louisville for the USGP race. We both opted to do the 2/3's race as opposed to the U23 race, instead of buying a UCI license and shelling out $45 per race to maybe finish. The course was awesome with a lot of muddy sections. A pit bike would have been real nice. I'm scratching any thoughts of a time trial bike for next year, and instead going to get a pit bike. We have a pretty interesting story from the Saturday race. First, we were staying with the SEMO guys who got in at about 12:30am. Grman and I were asleep and got woken up, and stayed up while they shuffled around for another half hour or so, and went back to bed at like 1:15. They got up at 6, and were really loud. And turned on all the lights. And yelled. And left the door open when they left. So it was a pretty bad pre-race night. We got to the race at like 9:30, rode over and got our chips, came back and started to get ready. These two masters came over and started talking to us, and the conversation eventually turned to us thinking we started at 11, and them thinking they started at 11:15. We both knew our races couldnt start that close together, so one of them rode over to check. He came back and told us our race was called to stageing and they were lining up. I was changing brake pads and Grman was pinning his number. Shit. I dropped my pants and changed in the middle of the parking lot and the two masters helped us pin our numbers and pump our tires while we embrocated and grabbed anything we needed. We sprinted to the start line right as our numbers were getting called. Mistake #1. Mistake #2 was registering a week ago. I was starting 104th spot, ten rows back. I didnt see the leaders. The race was pretty raw for the first lap. Throwing elbows, dismounting and running past dudes. I raced pretty ok, but didnt feel great on laps 2-4 I think due to lack of warmup. Grman, who started in 87th I think, ended up 10th, and I ended up 24th passing a solid 80 guys.
We ran into Richard at his Specialized booth and he invited us to crash with him that night. I worked the pit for Logan and it was pretty sweet, then we headed out and had a nice dinner and had a lot of fun hanging with Richard. Sunday we came to the race with Richard at 7am. Prepared and on time. The course appeared to have dried out so I declined to set up a pit bike with Richard. Mistake. The course was still wet and muddy. On the first lap, I dismounted a minute in and ran for about 200m, it was easier to just run past the people that were trying to ride. Then, later in the first lap, on a downhill/uphill U-Turn that had a section of pavement right at the bottom, I washed out my rear tire, and ate it hard on my right side. The little pin that holds the shift and brake lever to the shifter body popped out but not all the way. I couldnt really use my rear brake and my shifting was unreliable, but after I finished and actually got a good look at what happened, it was an easy fix. I started 99th and got all the way up to 27th. Grman I think started in 83rd and finished a very respectable 6th. All in all it was a really good weekend. We had a lot of fun, raced pretty well considering our start spots, and got to ride some real courses. The courses out there were legit. There were 3 mandatory dismounts the first day(stairs, barriers, green monster), and 4 the second day(stairs, stairs, barriers, green monster)(one stair set was possibly rideable both days). Thats a lot more than the one dismount in STL. There were also 2 or 3 sandpits, that got really packed down so they were easily rideable, but had they not been that would be a few more. Also the mud made for a lot more dismounts, especially on the first lap. People around here need to HTFU and quit whining about cross being hard, or cross courses being hard. The only bad thing around here is that the courses arent hard enough, or they just plain suck like the Ronde Course. No pics from the weekend found yet, but there must have been 20 photographers snapping during our race.

5 comments:

Butthead said...

Good for you guys going out and doing a big race. There a ton of really fast guys out there!

Don't start that crap about STL courses not being hard enough. Riders make courses "harder". Take my advice on this....instead of saying things are not "hard" enough or in general bitching about it.....do something about it...Show up and rip people's legs off or show up early and pound some stakes in the ground.

You and Alex are in a good spot to really get a lot better in the sport. Do in a positive manor help the sport grow.

Get out and do some more big events. The Iowa City weekend is a good one and it is not far from STL.

martin said...

All i'm saying is that after racing a race with 4 dismounts per lap and a lot more "elements" it's hard to hear people say stuff here is hard. i guess hard isnt the right word for it. I guess I just wish courses round here were more diverse.
I'm thinking about going to iowa. It's a long drive. We both have plane tickets to bend. Are you going out there?

Butthead said...

I think STL has it pretty good. Mike has to do a lot to get into the parks. Generally the parks are really specific on what/where we can setup. Trust me I can say with what we are allowed to do we are getting the most out of it.

This weekend will have a sand pit we will hit twice.....so you probably will have to dismount for that.

There is about a 10% chance I will go to Bend. My grownup life is really getting in the way of racing this fall....

Make the trip to Iowa City. They have a different style of CX and you will get to race against some guys you haven't seen before.

If you guys want to get better, you are going to have to be willing to travel.

I actually never liked Louisville's course. It seemed like one big traffic jam the couple times I did it. But that is the great thing about cx....it is never the same twice and different courses suit different people.

martin said...

Yeah, I'm sure they are making the most of it. I do like a lot of the courses here. Its just cool seeing stairs be a part of the ground like in louisville. I'm still considering iowa.

KurtW said...

Instead of driving too far, try racing a weekend in Kansas City.
I am sure you could find host housing with little problem. If all of the heavy hitters show up will have more fast guys in the race than STL will. Plus it will be different guys and different courses...not necessarily better but racing against different fast guys on different courses will make you a whole lot better.