Friday, January 01, 2010

what i learned in 2009

this is a work in progress over the next few days.

-Superweek is dwindling but was still the most fun bike related thing I did all year.
-CX Nationals would have been more fun if the Hostage had been freed (Hostage take note for next year)
-I can finally feel the difference in tires; griffos are far inferior to fangos, but everyone else rides dugast.
-Single Speeds are an excuse, except of course in BMX where they are standard.
-Pit bikes are necessary at anything bigger than a bubba race.
-A wise man once told me that traveling was half the fun of bike racing, somewhat agreed, but more of racing out of town is half the fun of bike racing.
-Road or Cross is the best season all year; whenever it is that season. Mountain is still no fun.
-Everything is going to be bigger and faster this year.
-The Portland scene is a lot different than I had heard rumored. More stoopid less fast. More like this.
-Socks reminiscent of soccer socks for bike racing are stupid.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can't forget that mullets are gay and so 2007.

martin said...

yeah. ive had mine since 2007.

Dan said...

Is there a difference between 'learning something' and having an opinion? It seems to me yes. Otherwise, it just sounds like negativity. I don't think anyone who you raced around this past year ever used single speeding as an excuse.

martin said...

I think an opinion is arrived at by learning things, so I don't really think there is a difference. It is clearly opinionated. The title is also kind of a joke. I never said it was an excuse made by anyone I personally raced against. Also, my saying that it is "an excuse", is way simplifying my views on single speeds.

Dan said...

"I think an opinion is arrived at by learning things". I strongly disagree. Emotion, preference, poor reasoning, etc all help form opinions. Fundamentalists and fanatics of all sorts however would agree with you (that there's no difference).

I still don't understand what you mean by 'an excuse'.

martin said...

I never said that learning things is the only way to form an opinion. It is undeniable that learning things helps form an opinion. You're also giving "opinions" a negative connotation, which is dumb, because everyone has them. Try not to read too much into what I'm writing here. It's a bike blog. Yeah, I haven't made my entire opinion apparent on single speeds.

Dan said...

sorry dudesky. just being philosophical. trust me, i know bikes blogs are bike blogs. anyway, i was just sayin.

good luck with school starting up. hope the semester goes well. come down and ride some gravel if you want sometime.