Thursday, December 24, 2009

nats etc. etc. etc.

I guess I have put of writing about nationals for long enough. It's a daunting task to write about 5 days spent in Oregon.
Day 1. We leave STL at 6 am and fly into Portland with a breakfast stop in Dallas. It was the same flight but it just stopped in Dallas and we were allowed to get off and do whatever in the Dallas airport for an hour. This was the first time I realized my dad was trying to starve me. I hadn't eaten anything, as 4 am is too early for food in my book. He insisted we don't go get food, I won. We then flew to Portland with an awesome flight right over the rockies, over Colorado Springs, staying at like 20 thousand feet provided some cool views. Flying right past Mt. Hood coming in was awesome, it's like right out the window at the same height as the plane. We got to Portland and rented a Jeep Wrangler, most excellent for the snow that was there. This was the second time I realized my dad was trying to starve me. He insisted we would get food in Bend. Bend is 3-4 hours from Portland. It was 1 Portland time, 3 our time. I won again. We got into Bend, and checked in. Our hotel was super nice, right across the river from the course. Our balcony provided a great view of almost the entire course. We met up with the hostage and his captors (grman) at number pickup and had a nice dinner with them, then it was off to bed.
Day 2. We woke up early for the mens 10-29 B race. It was like -4 degrees when I woke up. I don't know what to wear for that cold of weather. I got dressed and rolled over to the course. The race was really weird. I don't really feel like I was focused or in a "racing mindset". The course was complete snow and ice for our race. I also rode the worst race of my life. I was riding so slow, not taking any risks, and still sliding in every corner. Not a fun race. I was thoroughly embarrassed with my result. We just hungout and watched some more races. This dude Paul Curley, apparently a racing legend, smoked the masters 55+ I think, riding a homemade disk wheel and a helmet mirror.

Day 3. No racing today. I just layed in bed until noon and then went over and rode the course for an hour or so. It had started to warm up a bit and was getting a lot more rideable. It's really interesting. Out there, I think because its apparently in a desert, the temperature is cold but doesn't feel super bad. When it gets up to like 35 people are taking off jackets and gloves, girls are wearing skirts, its crazy. More race watching, and another dinner with the hostage and his captors followed.
Day 4. The race that counts was finally here. I layed around, and went over to the course like an hour and half before our race. People were muddy, and the course was thawing out. I rode quite a few laps and got a pit bike setup with Richard. Thanks to Richard for everything, he was a big help with everything. Looking over the start list the night before I realized it was pretty much only guys in the race that I knew by name. It seemed that only serious dudes made the trip out, unlike in KC. We lined up and I was slotted right next to Chance Noble, who I talked to in Richard's tent a bit. As soon as the officials stepped out of the way, people started pushing forward. The starting grid was no more. It was a big clump all trying to get to the front line. We started fast and there was a big pileup in the first corner. Grman just squeaked through and I got caught and dismounted . The race was really fast. I was going pretty much full gas the whole time, easily consistently harder than I ever have during a local race for the whole time. it's interesting how the different atmosphere of people you dont know, just trying o catch whoever is infront of you, and stay ahead of whoever is behind. It kind of sucked though, because It was so slick that there were spots you simply couldn't go hard. I still crashed 3 times, all pretty hard. There was this one off camber that you hit doing over 20, it had been frozen for a few days. I also crashed on the downhill that they added for the last two days. It was off camber on a downhill that was probably over 45%. It was insane. Turning off the course on my 2nd to go lap, I hear the announcer say something about Summerhill. I kept pushing but was looking back to make sure I wouldn't be in his way when he came by me. It took a lot longer than I thought. We were almost into the back half of the course before he caught me, then shortly after, Chance came by. From there on out I motored it in and didn't get passed by anyone else. I was a little bummed to get lapped, but only by 2 dudes, and so late in the race too. the race was super muddy. But wet slick mud, not the thick stuff.

I was more or less satisfied with my race. I know I rode hard. I think that something we just talked about in camp is what I need to work of for next year. I need to know that I belong in this race. That I'm there to compete and not just to participate. I think hitting a few bigger races and a UCI license should help next year. I ran into an old friend who basically got me started racing bikes, and happened to be living in Bend. Weird coincidence. Went to see the Cyclocross Meeting movie that night. It was pretty good, not enough interviews though. Wicks is a funny dude, wish there was more.
Day 5. WOke up and headed over to watch Logie in the Collegiate race. It was cold and frozen again. The race had an awesome sprint finish with Zach Mcdonald taking the win, after flatting out in the first lap or two of the U23 race the first day.
We waited around and watched the first race. This race had some of the best food I have ever had at a bike race. There was a pizza oven that had been towed there, and was puttin out good quality pies. My personal favorite was the frites stand that served frites in paper cones with a wooden fork and an assortment of different sauces. I got a large frites and headed to the treacherous downhill with the hostage to watch the pro race. Madd carnage. We saw a dude wreck, and his bike hit hs face. He got up and spit out some bloody teeth. Nasty. Carl Decker and this one Rock Lobster dude were the fastest down it. The RL dude was bunny hopping midway down the hill, insane. All in all the riding was impressive by the pros. The crowd was amazing. 5000 plus people. It was 5 deep for a lot of the course. I was a little bummed to see TJ win, was hopin Trebon would pull it out. We headed back to the hotel and promptly left for Portland. A 4 hour drive over Mt. Hood in the snow at night followed.
Day 6. We flew home. Via LA. I saw the Hollywood sign from the plane. We got in at like 830. I stayed up til 3 am writing a paper that was due at 8 am.

All in all nats was fun. It was a great course and great atmosphere. I don't know if I'l go back next year. It's a lot of travel, time and money. We'll see come cross season.

This past weekend was team camp. It was a bit smaller than years past but fun none the less. This year, we're having more of a dedicated U23 team. Right now the roster is Matt Pence, Matt Brandt and myself. We rode, talked about next year, talked about other stuff and had a nice dinner together. Definitely motivating. It was also good to meet our new DS Jim Schneider. He has a ton of experience, and a lot of good stories. Definitely excited for next year. Big thanks to Adrienne, Jim and Chris Creed for a fun weekend and a great dinner, and Rene, Chris' Wife, for lunch on Sunday.

Now its time to rest some more. I'll take till after this weekend off. Then I think I'm good to go.

1 comment:

Francis Hamre said...

Great story man! Wish I could be there again next year for some good times