Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Bubba Finale

This past weekend we had the last Bubba race, which took us back to Bellefontaine Park in noco. The weather was nice all day and then dropped down into more cyclocross like weather with temps holding in the 40's. The course was phenomenal. By far the best Bubba course I have ever raced. It had a good amount of elevation change, good obstacles, the tackyness of the course was perfect and the twists were just right. It was a blast to ride. After starting fast and having a pretty good race last week, I was aiming to do the same this week. I missed a pedal and was only able to slot in 2nd on the holeshot, to Dr. Mark. DB came by me and then Jay before we hit the turny section by the wheelpit. Nate jumped around me and a gap started to open with Mark, DB, Nate and Jay edging away. Jay fell and I closed the gap. Carnage ensued behind me and it was Mark pulling DB, Nate and myself around. On lap two DB went down and it was down to Mark, Nate and I. Nate left us in the dust, and I tried to follow. Schottler came by me in a bad place on the course, and I didn't follow. I rode with Mark for another lap, then Yielding caught us, we dropped mark and then rode together for a lap or two. Mark caught back up to us and we dropped Yielding. After seeing 3 to go Mark and I were together, then going into the downhill u-turn, I completely lost it. I flipped sideways hard and landed smack on the pavement. I layed there for about ten seconds, really hurting, with my bike on top of me. It was cold and I hit hard. I kind of woke up when I saw Yielding coming around the corner, and Jay soon after. I got up, bike was fine, and got back on. I pedaled but it really hurt. My hip was killing me, and I could see that I had road rash on my elbow and knee. It felt like a crash in a crit. I tried to get up the run/ride up but had to put a foot down. I knew I was done pretty soon after that. I couldn't even imagine getting off the bike and running over barriers. I stopped and went to put some warm clothes on. It was disappointing because I was racing really, really well. My legs felt fresh until I went down, and I was feeling confident. For the beginning of the race I felt like I had survived a battle as nearly everyone else behind me was taken out in some fashion, and I could hear them hitting the ground. At least I know I still have some good legs. Thats pretty exciting with State this coming weekend, and Nationals the weekend after. I was pretty sore yesterday, and when I woke up this morning. I saw the chiropractor yesterday and I'm back in line, but he suggested taking today and tomorrow off to heal some more. I'm thinking maybe swimming today and riding again tomorrow. I swam last week and really enjoyed it. I had already been in the pool, helping a friend with her lifeguard certification. I decided to stay and swim instead of riding. Does anyone have any advice for swimming for cycling? I'm thinking use a kickboard. Anyways, I'm racing the cat 3 race this weekend. I only had one top 5 finish in the Bubba series this year, and I'd much rather have a chance to win a jersey, than be fighting for a top ten with the KC guys in town. If cousin Dan decides to do the 3's as well, we could likely end up with an inter family duel for the jersey. Exciting stuff. The only problem is that I waited to register until 3 weeks before, and there were already like 3 rows of people. Where the hell are we? Who preregisters for cross in Missouri? It's cool though that so many people are psyched this year. It's just surprising that 3 weeks before is late. So I'll have to try and get by as many people as possible asap. we'll see.

No comments: