The Bubba race this weekend was at Mt. Pleasant winery in Augusta MO. It was ridiculous. The whole course was on the side of a hill with probably a %20+ gradient in some parts. The whole race was either up, down or off camber. The course also featured a brief flat section, interrupted by a ramp that took you through a building that housed a bar, and back out the other side. As much as I didn't like the course, which was by no means a cyclocross course and more of a novelty circus event, it did suit me decently well. I am hesitant to admit that I can climb well, yet when it comes down to a race, I can usually pull something out. I chose to ride my Eastons for the fact that the glue job is one year newer, a point which the ever questioning grbeans should have taken into account, and for the fact that after numerous days of Griffo testing these past few weeks, the Fangos are the superior tire in all circumstances. It gripped amazingly well on the off camber sections. The 27psi I had in the tires allowed them to perfectly conform to the 18 percent grades. I started on the front row and easily took the holeshot. I think I had about 50 feet by the first u-turn. It was kind of a dumb idea, as I hadnt really warmed up at all, but I was up there, and I wanted to give a little test run for nationals, where the start is INSANE. I held first until the very steep run/ride up where I had to run and cousin dan and grman rode past. I had a 39x25 as my smallest gear, which was no deal against this beast. I stayed in 3rd or 4th for a lap or two and then grman dropped off. Over the course of the race a few more dudes went past me and I was in 6th or 7th riding with devin with 2 to go. I tried to shift my right shifter and it was pushing really far in, and not doing anything. I tried a few more times, and the same deal. I reached over with my left hand, and without any struggle, simply pulled the shifter paddle out of my shifter. The whole internal attachment had broken clean off in like 5 different places. So i had a 39x12 for the rest of the race. I had to run a lot. I got passed by 2 or 3 more guys and ended up 9th. Kind of a disappointment but I know I rode well, and my legs finally felt decent. I think the fast start was actually a help. I felt really good up the climbs though, I was making up time on anyone that I was with. I also made $5 in various $1 handups throughout the race. Those dollars make it fun. I can buy lunch this week now.
Today I had one of those totally beautiful St. Louis moments. I was downtown to shoot some photos for a project, I had just turned on Broadway and I was getting some hunger pangs, I had been for a few hours. I saw a Jimmy Johns to my right, debated for a few seconds then cut over a few deserted lanes and turned down whatever street it was on and parked. I walked inside and was greeted by none other than Rob Bell behind the counter. It was great to see him and catch up a bit. It's one of those insane coincidence/small world moments that make STL STL.
Monday, November 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment